Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
preparing for winterization...fogging the engine...quite cluless
As Bernie suggested, I would get better result posting here than spamming him in the PM inbox Tongue

In short, I have no clue how to do it properly.

Bernie said the following:

Quote:in short, bikes are different than cars.
I no longer pull spark plugs out unless it's really easy to do that.
I take out the air filter, and stick a screw driver across the starter terminals!
The engine turns over (drawing in the fogging spray), but the plugs don't spark, and the fuel pump doesn't pump!

Does that mean, I short the two terminals on the starter by a screw driver? Oh boy, time to find where my terminals are on my Honda shadow hah....

And where do you spray the fogging oil if you don't take the spark plugs off?????

Quote:The only thing is if you are carbureted, you need to have the fuel shut off.

this i do anyway when I turn the bike off by turning the fuel valve
off.
Quote:If it's a vacuum valve, the air needs to be clamped of pulled and plugged.

this I am not too sure what you mean....do you mean I block off the air inlet once I take the air box off???

Last of the questions: I was planning to get the motomaster engine store kit which comes with fuel stabilizer and fogging oil. Anyone tried this guy before??

On the box it says "attach spark plug to lead and ground it. Turn engine over by hand or electric starter...."

I am quite confused about that statement...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://m.canadiantire.ca/?cid=KWGoogle_Brand_Canadian+Tire+Brand&gclid=Cj0KEQjw0_O-BRCfjsCw25CYzYoBEiQAqO9BDAhdF15sgO24FgvYHRplRFHiIO9nHTDR0DbcIwtxV9gaAl8F8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds#/products/productDetail/0380903P?storeClearance=false&selectedSku=0380903&isNonOnline=false&isAutomotive=false&isBarcodeValue=false&serverName=ATLAS&quantity=1">https://m.canadiantire.ca/?cid=KWGoogle ... quantity=1</a><!-- m -->

Sorry for all these newbie questions and YouTube doesn't help this time Tongue
Yes, jumping the starter terminals is the easiest way to turn the engine over but no spark or fuel pump.
If it's a petcock, you have to turn it off and have the carbs drained.
If it's a vacuum operated petcock, it needs to be on run/reserve, with the vacuum line pulled off and plugged, and the carbs drained.
You spray the fogging oil in the airbox, with the air filter removed.

If you jump the starter, no need to worry about grounding the plugs.
If you have an old school bike where the plugs are easy to remove and spray stuff inside, I rest them on the engine so they can spark away. A rag will keep the spark away from the spray, which is Flammable!
BC Children's Hospital Foundation Balding for Dollars

Email Bernie: PRSMechanic(at)hotmail(dot)com
The fogging can be daunting, and is for those that are already handy and familiar with their bike.
If you have a covered bike, stored inside for 3 months, I would skip it unless you are in love with getting dirty and working on your baby!

Well, I figure I should learn how for the future and also vancouver weather isn't the most predictable for me to say that I will only cover it for 3 months.

1. For the vacuum operated petcock, how come you say to turn it to run/reserve before turning the engine over?
Won't that allow fuel to run into the carb?

2. When u say spray oil to the air box, do you mean just spray within the box anywhere? And can I spray into the air hose as I might have to disconnect the box to get to my carb.

3. Well, I actually don't know which line are my vaccum lines...hah...I read through my bike's manual but I am soooo confused...lol...

It's a 03 Honda Shadow Spirit VT750DC...anyone who has similar/same bike...help? Lol
Aren't the spark plugs easy to get at on the Shadow?
Plugs out, spray cylinder, plugs back in. Don't start it!
Drain carbs, remove battery......

Bernie PRS Mechanic Wrote:Aren't the spark plugs easy to get at on the Shadow?
Plugs out, spray cylinder, plugs back in. Don't start it!
Drain carbs, remove battery......

Oh? So if I can spray directly into the cylinders, I don't need to crank the engine over?....

Or i still do but just don't need to bother with vacuum line anymore?

Tongue thanks for putting up with this bike newbie by the way.
take out plugs, put them back into the caps, rest plug on engine somewhere.
drain carbs, put screws back in lightly
spray storage stuff in both cylinders, 3-4 seconds in each
turn on bike, twist throttle wide open, crank for 1-2 seconds
put plugs back in, spray a little fog in each muffler
drain carb again, tighten screws properly

Bernie PRS Mechanic Wrote:take out plugs, put them back into the caps, rest plug on engine somewhere.

Okay...so let me recap this....and I swear this will the last time if I get this right lol... :oops:

1. Pull the plug & and put them back to the coil caps
2. Rest the plugs somewhere away from the cylinders with caps on
3. Drain the carb & screw the drain screw back lightly
4. Spray fogging oil in each cylinders roughly 3~4 seconds
5. because it is a vacuum petcock, Turn the petcock to run/reserve
6. Crank over engine 1~2 seconds by jumping the starter terminals & twist the throttle open at the same time
7. Turn petcock to off
8. Put plugs back in
9. Drain the carb again & tighten the drain screws
TimmyTheHog Wrote:
Bernie PRS Mechanic Wrote:take out plugs, put them back into the caps, rest plug on engine somewhere.

Okay...so let me recap this....and I swear this will the last time if I get this right lol... :oops:

1. Pull the plug & and put them back to the coil caps yes
2. Rest the plugs somewhere away from the cylinders with caps on yes
3. Drain the carb & screw the drain screw back lightly yes
4. Spray fogging oil in each cylinders roughly 3~4 seconds yes
5. because it is a vacuum petcock, Turn the petcock to run/reserve if it's a vacuum petcock, run or reserve will let gas go through when engine is turning over, BUT with throttle open and plugs out, there is no vacuum! therefor....no gas!
6. Crank over engine 1~2 seconds by jumping the starter terminals & twist the throttle open at the same time yes. if it doesn't have a fuel pump you could use the starter, but I think you have a fuel pump
7. Turn petcock to off you don't have an off if it's a vacuum petcock

8. Put plugs back in yes
9. Drain the carb again & tighten the drain screws
yes, in case any gas got back into the carb

Thanks Bernie!!!

Now you pointed out that I do not have a vacuum operated petcock since my valve has an Off pos.

For some reason, I read somewhere Shadow has a vacuum operated petcock. Guess i got confused then.

that being said, if it is not a vacuum Operated Petcock Valve, I will have to do all the operation above at the "off" position.

I am assuming "keeping the throttle open while cranking the engine over" still applies even if it is NOT a vacuum operated petcock?
Last one... ;-)
As you have an off position, put it there and leave it there until the spring.
Drain, try and start it, carbs will be empty.
Spray fogging oil inside cylinder, turn over for only a couple of revs, put plugs back in.
The reason you lay the plugs on the engine is so they can spark, allowing the ignition system to work as normal,
It probably doesn't matter if you have the throttle wide open.

Are you on the 201 list. Last chance coming soon!
Or at-home storage, so you can learn first hand?

The next question will cost you a $10 donation to BC Children's Hospital ;-)

HAHAHAHA...thanks Bernie!

As for 201, I didn't see any posts regarding to it??? I am so waiting for that HAHAHAH!!!!!!

Think I spammed you a few weeks ago when you had one for Harley a week ago, I am just waiting for the non-Harley Version Tongue

Please let me know when so I can pass the word to my big boss AKA the wife...

If I missed it, we can always book for the at-home storage session Tongue

Thanks again for putting up with me HAH!!!
Maintenance Courses Oct 22/23, 2016
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.pacificridingschool.com/?p=3325">http://www.pacificridingschool.com/?p=3325</a><!-- m -->
---------
Brose
YUP! Signed up and ready to go! XD