Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Oil Change Question.
Need to do the first oil change for my Kawasaki 400r and I was thinking of doing it myself. I'm planning to use Motul 5100 10w-40 oil and a K&N-303 filter. I think everything should be good, but I know that the first oil change is important because there will be small bits of metal that need to be flushed out. Other than making sure the engine is warm before doing the oil change, is there anything else I can do to make sure I get a super duper clean oil change?

Also, thanks Chris, Ambrose, and Kramer for setting me on the right track towards getting that perfect road test sheet. Smile Smile Smile
If its the first change for the bike, it should be non-synthetic Motul.
Warm is good!
MAke sure to use a new crush washer!
BC Children's Hospital Foundation Balding for Dollars

Email Bernie: PRSMechanic(at)hotmail(dot)com
what's the reasoning for a new washer? I know people say change it every time, and why and non-synthetic for the first change?
calvin400r Wrote:what's the reasoning for a new washer? I know people say change it every time, and why and non-synthetic for the first change?

Once you have used the 'crush' washer once, it takes more torque to seal the second time, even more the third, etc. The pan is aluminum, so they use the soft aluminum crush washer as it's the least amount of torque (= lessstress on the threads of the oil pan) to seal properly. And, they are only $2 or less ;-)

When the engine is being 'broken in', part of that is wearing in parts easily, before you give then full load (=full throttle). With semi or full synthetic, things don't get a chance to polish themselves smooth before they see full force. This includes seating the rings, bearings, crank bearings, etc. This is the short answer!

We go over a lot of interesting stuff like this in Maintenance 101 ;-)
BC Children's Hospital Foundation Balding for Dollars

Email Bernie: PRSMechanic(at)hotmail(dot)com