Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
from Vancouver to Chilliwack via Lillooet (Duffey Lake)?
Fishing for interest (probably not for the faint of heart) as well as recommendations and suggestions.

Meet: Vancouver BMW Ducati
Time: Date to be determined but relatively early time - 9:00am or earlier. Wheels are rolling No Later Than 9:30am.
Destination: Tim Hortons in Chilliwack at Luckakuck Way via Lillooet (Duffey Lake)
Pace: Almost completely Highway speeds

Looking to see if anyone else is adventurous (crazy?) enough for a trip to Chilliwack via Lillooet.

Start from Vancouver BMW Ducati.

Note - Lessons learned from PRS 2012 Ride 2 - 1200cc bikes that were in my group were "running on fumes" when we refuelled in Hope. If assuming tanks were full from Vancouver BMW Ducati, their max range = 160km. Factoring changes in elevation affecting fuel consumption, legs detailed below are maxed out at around 130km between refuel points.

Proposed itinerary: (distances and timings are approximate from Google Maps)

Leg 1 - Head West, then North along BC-99N to Whistler (130 km / 2hrs) for first Rest Break/Refuel (at Petro Canada or Husky)

Leg 2 - Continue North-East to Lillooet (130km / 2hrs) for second Rest Break/Lunch/Refuel. Any suggestions for lunch? I'm leaning toward refuelling at the Mohawk off Main Street and Moha Road followed by something relatively fast and furious at the Subway or A&W since there's still a lot of riding to do. They're basically within line of sight of each other, and they should all be fast.

Leg 3 - Head South-East to Boston Bar (110km, 1hr 40mins) Rest Break/Refuel. Supposedly there's an Esso and a Husky in the area.

Leg 4 - Release point at Tim Hortons in Chilliwack on Luckakuck Way (120km, 1hr 40mins) Take your pick of Gas Stations nearby. I could use a hot bowl of soup and a coffee to get back home to Vancouver at this point.

Total distance: ~490km, 7hrs 20 min (plus 2x15 min refuel and 45min each for refuel with lunch and dinner... yah yah, I live in a dream world where these timings can be met.)

Leg 5 - If you're heading back to Vancouver BMW Ducati, add another 95km, 1hr 15mins of riding.

--> The way I see it, I'll be looking at nearly 9 hours of riding with probably another 2 hours of breaks to refuel and to grab a bite to eat in Lillooet and Chilliwack; so please keep in mind that the longer we break at each stop, the longer our day will run before you eventually get home.

Or to put things into perspective, if we start riding at 9:30am, do not expect to be back at Vancouver BMW Ducati before 8:30pm.

However, if you are STILL interested in trying this FULL day of riding with me, let me know what kilometric range you can safely achieve with your bike and I will recalculate the legs if required.

Maps and directions for each leg of the journey to follow once required stops are confirmed.
I'm interested.

I ride a Ninja 250 with fuel range of 300km per tank (400km highway but let's play it cool and say 300).

I would want to leave earlier than that so we can try to avoid time in the heat of the day (11am - 6pm is the peak).

I have already completed many long distance rides and have quite a bit of endurance/stamina (my longest ride so far on the bike is 8 hours, with one 10 minute stop for gas, one 10 minute pee break, and getting stuck in rush hour long weekend traffic for an hour at stop and go pace - total trip was 550km)

I'll keep up to date on this post. I'd be interested in rolling around 5 or 6 AM to take advantage of the cool weather and miss most of the traffic. Also I'd propose doing it in reverse so we can miss the traffic coming into Vancouver on Highway 1 in the afternoon (construction, returning travellers etc)

If I'm not too high maintenance by now, count me in Smile
Distance is measured in the amount of bugs I splatter on my visor...
LiquidBiohazard Wrote:I ride a Ninja 250 with fuel range of 300km per tank (400km highway but let's play it cool and say 300).

I would want to leave earlier than that so we can try to avoid time in the heat of the day (11am - 6pm is the peak).

I'll keep up to date on this post. I'd be interested in rolling around 5 or 6 AM to take advantage of the cool weather and miss most of the traffic. Also I'd propose doing it in reverse so we can miss the traffic coming into Vancouver on Highway 1 in the afternoon (construction, returning travellers etc)

5 or 6am? Some of us like our sleep... especially when I usually don't get to bed before midnight. But I could compromise with a 7am roll out from the Start Point.

Anyway, were you considering some kind of siesta/extended lunch? I don't really see how we wouldn't still get caught riding during the peak hours of the day, unless we luck out with some overcast weather.

When it comes to range, my 2003 Suzuki GS500 can reach nearly 500km on a full tank, but I was looking to cap it around 400 to play it safe.

As for which direction we'd be heading, with as long a day of riding as we're looking forward to, I figured that traffic will have died down enough to be a non-issue. However, I'm going to start plotting Refuel Points and Rest Breaks in the reverse direction as per your recommendation.

FYI - I'm probably still going to look at a 2hr and/or 130km cap for anyone with limited range who may be interested in joining us.
That sounds like a pretty intense adventure. What date do you have in mind?
adrian Wrote:That sounds like a pretty intense adventure. What date do you have in mind?

Almost crazy enough to try it this Saturday (14 July) or next (21 July), weather permitting. I already have a commitment for 28 July so that date is out.

Vancouver BMW Ducati to the Subway or A&W in Lillooet will be approximately 320km and about 4-and-a-half hours on Hwy 1; and we'd still have another 260km and almost 4 hours of riding via BC-99, so I am absolutely
NOT entertaining any ideas of taking a scenic ride to get to Lillooet.

By the way, what kind of range can you get on your bike? I won't be needing to refuel until we get to Lillooet
(heck, I could probably get to Whistler, but why risk it?), but I could probably use a water break by the time we get to Hope... and perhaps pick up a Small Frozen Lemonade for $1 at the Tim Hortons.

:lol:
I ride a ninja 250 (i was the guy at the back of your group with the ninja with the box in the back) Like LiquidBiohazard said i can probably do 400k on a tank but i would refuel sooner just to be safe... On the ride on Saturday when we got to hope (and refueled) i still had more than half a tank and when we left it it wasn't completely full. I use to get more out of it when i was braking it in in the city as I had to keep it at a maximum of 4000RPM for the first 1000k.

I was thinking it might be a good idea to do some shorter rides... the likes of Vancouver - Squamish or Vancouver - Mission (bypassing the mission back-roads) or something of that magnitude building up to the main ride to give people a change to work themselves out and build the stamina like liquidbio-hazard mentioned above. Maybe do them during the week like after 6 when traffic calms down?
adrian Wrote:I ride a ninja 250 (i was the guy at the back of your group with the ninja with the box in the back) Like LiquidBiohazard said i can probably do 400k on a tank but i would refuel sooner just to be safe... On the ride on Saturday when we got to hope (and refueled) i still had more than half a tank and when we left it it wasn't completely full. I use to get more out of it when i was braking it in in the city as I had to keep it at a maximum of 4000RPM for the first 1000k.

I was thinking it might be a good idea to do some shorter rides... the likes of Vancouver - Squamish or Vancouver - Mission (bypassing the mission back-roads) or something of that magnitude building up to the main ride to give people a change to work themselves out and build the stamina like liquidbio-hazard mentioned above. Maybe do them during the week like after 6 when traffic calms down?

Hmmm... I understand your rationale, but I'm personally already looking for longer distance rides.

I've already done Vancouver to Mission along the back roads enough times in group rides (en route to Chilliwack, Harrison and now Hell's Gate) that I want to explore different routes.

I've also already gone to Squamish a couple of times so Whistler will probably be my preferred minimum riding distance.

You should know that I've been down to
Seattle, WA and back a couple of times and those ride had me logging over 450km for the round-trip. I also frequent motorcycle shops in Mount Vernon (over 260km round-trip) and Marysville (over 350km round-trip) every few weeks so I'm looking for more of a personal challenge.

Like I mentioned in my original post,
THIS road trip is not really for the faint of heart, nor admittedly those with minimum experience... but you can't gain experience unless you actually go out and do it.

However, if throwing together a bunch of shorter rides means it will help more people gain confidence and build their stamina to come out for a Duffey Loop ride
(and it WILL be the full ride via Lillooet), then I can push back my invitation to the Duffey Loop ride until some time in August; and extend an open invitation for Squamish/Whistler stamina-building rides for the time being.
Full tank on departure
Gas stop in Hope
Gas stop in Lillooet
Gas stop in Whistler plus Lunch
Straight shot home

That's kind of what I had in mind. I've been planning on doing this again (did it last fall) with a friend and that's probably what we would do.

Here's what the goog says: 580 km, 8 hours 32 mins

I'm awake at 5:30 every day for work so I'm usually in bed around 9 anyways. I'd prefer riding in the cool air for as long as possible. I'm okay with the 7AM start too. We would get caught in the heat for sure, but if we leave earlier, we're in it for less time. Especially at the tail end of the ride when we're already going to be tired, the environment will be an important factor to consider (as heat will exhaust us faster).
LiquidBiohazard Wrote:Full tank on departure
Gas stop in Hope
Gas stop in Lillooet
Gas stop in Whistler plus Lunch
Straight shot home

That's kind of what I had in mind. I've been planning on doing this again (did it last fall) with a friend and that's probably what we would do.

Here's what the goog says: 580 km, 8 hours 32 mins

I'm awake at 5:30 every day for work so I'm usually in bed around 9 anyways. I'd prefer riding in the cool air for as long as possible. I'm okay with the 7AM start too. We would get caught in the heat for sure, but if we leave earlier, we're in it for less time. Especially at the tail end of the ride when we're already going to be tired, the environment will be an important factor to consider (as heat will exhaust us faster).

Vancouver to Whistler (via Lillooet) BEFORE stopping for lunch? That entails approximately 6.5 hours of riding, with only breaks to refuel.

That's
dangerous even beyond Canadian Forces driving standards... and we exercise a mandatory rest break after 2 hours of driving before we're allowed to continue on the next leg of a road move. (Our regulations also limit us to 500km of driving per day, but I'm willing to overlook that particular detail in this case.)

As it is, the 4.5 hours required to get to Lillooet will probably test many riders before the effects of hunger start impairing their ability to ride.

So, Vancouver to Whistler via Lillooet before lunch?
Absolutely not... not during MY ride. Lillooet is the maximum distance before Lunch is consumed, in either direction. There will be no compromise.

That's part of the reason why lunch was scheduled in Lillooet and dinner was scheduled in Chilliwack, as detailed in my original plan... I KNOW that this ride is going to push some riders' abilities beyond what they may be used to. And I intend for the riders that will be coming with me to survive this trip and want to do it again. But some risks simply aren't worth taking.

If that isn't good enough for anyone looking at participating in this ride, then you'll have to find someone else to ride with.
Lol okay well you seem to have it all figured out pretty well Smile

Just post the ride with the itinerary

I know what I'm capable of, I rode from Salmon Arm through Vernon/Kelowna/Merritt/Hope to Surrey in 8 hours on July 2nd so I know I can handle riding the Duffy distance no problem Smile Plus I've done Duffy before, I already know what to expect.

You have a solid plan already, just post it and ride Smile
LiquidBiohazard Wrote:Lol okay well you seem to have it all figured out pretty well Smile

Just post the ride with the itinerary

I know what I'm capable of, I rode from Salmon Arm through Vernon/Kelowna/Merritt/Hope to Surrey in 8 hours on July 2nd so I know I can handle riding the Duffy distance no problem Smile Plus I've done Duffy before, I already know what to expect.

You have a solid plan already, just post it and ride Smile

Here's the thing...

Part of the reason why I haven't identified a firm date and posted an itinerary is because I am hoping to get some feedback from some of the PRS Instructors. Preferably from those who have ridden the Duffey Lake Loop before, and who may be able to provide some valuable insight for things that I may not have considered.

I may be averaging about 1,000 km each month of riding
(including during the winter, while the roads were bare), and I may have done relatively long distance rides (including one instance where I went as far South as just before Olympia, WA for over 600km round-trip with several rest breaks); but I'm still a first year rider who hasn't taken the Advance Riding School course AND I've already taken two spills (at speeds under 50km/hr no less).

Also, outside of the PRS Group Rides, I never had to plan my long distance rides... I just went.

I didn't have to worry about considering other people's riding abilities, let alone the range they can achieve on their bikes, in order to determine mandatory refuelling breaks.
(By the way, the pipes in my old school gas tank that should give me a warning when I should be flipping the petcock from ON to RES are broken, so I have to pay attention to my Trip Odometer. And I've learned my bike's range the hard way; by running out of gas a few times, and having to push it to the nearest gas station.)

So you'll have to forgive me if I'm not ready to commit to such a huge ride based predominantly on the recommendation of someone who wanted to ride 6-and-a-half hours before stopping for lunch.

I may be more than a little bit crazy... but I'm not
THAT crazy. :lol:
I'm pretty crazy. I am a first year rider too, anniversary was in the end of April.

In the last year I've ridden 30,000km and had my bike off the road for 5 months of that year. I sold my car 3 months ago and only have my bike now with a full set of summer gear and rain gear.

I think I average near 1,000km a week.

6.5 hours straight to me is nothing... I did 8 hours straight from Salmon Arm Last Monday with no food breaks.

The only rider training I have is PRS MSA course. I've been down 3 times; 1 time in gravel, one time cause I was riding and looking behind me, and one time in a white out blizzard at 5km.
LiquidBiohazard Wrote:6.5 hours straight to me is nothing... I did 8 hours straight from Salmon Arm Last Monday with no food breaks.

The only rider training I have is PRS MSA course. I've been down 3 times; 1 time in gravel, one time cause I was riding and looking behind me, and one time in a white out blizzard at 5km.

6.4 hrs straight is silly. 8 hrs straight is even more silly. Just because you can do it, doesn't mean you SHOULD do it.

With all this rider down statements, you both are not promoting the school very well! LOL

Break down the ride to 1.5-2 hours, there's a thread in here some where about doing long trips and what to bring with you, and the prep involved before you start. @Bone, just email me if you have Q's.
---------
Brose
Cableguy Wrote:With all this rider down statements, you both are not promoting the school very well! LOL

In the School's defence, my first wipe out occurred at the end of February 2012 when I got caught Southbound on the Oak Street bridge by a freak passing weather front that dumped snow and sleet on me.

The skies had been clear in the UBC area (with some sun) when I started riding. And there was no evidence of snow fall within an hour of limping my bike back home.

The only evidence were my bent handlebars, scratches on my engine guards and bar ends, and scuff marks on my leathers. But considering that it was almost white out conditions when I lost traction in Richmond, things could have been a LOT worse.

As for my second wipe out at the end of April 2012, I lost traction while returning from a late evening ride, after a light rainfall. Some joker decide to pass me in the curb lane, between a couple of parked cars at the ends of the block.

I would like to think that the ARS course might have given me an option other than the panic braking that occurred.

Suffice it to say, my helmet and leathers paid themselves off during that particular tumble.

So these two accidents shouldn't reflect badly on what training I HAD received from PRS.

Wink
Johnny.Bonecracker Wrote:So these two accidents shouldn't reflect badly on what training I HAD received from PRS.
Wink

I know, I jest... Smile And of course, any additional training will help your riding. The ARS courses will let you discover how your bike performs, especially the braking limits.

I was more making fun of Dave. :lol:
---------
Brose
Cableguy Wrote:I was more making fun of Dave. :lol:

PFFFFFFFFFFFT!! Clearly as I defined my incidents, all three were rider error Smile Poor judgement on my part... A little too fast in a gravel parking lot, riding while looking behind me?! and riding in the snow... :lol:

Anyways Smile I am crazy, I don't mind the long ride cause I hate taking my helmet off and putting it back on lol But you already knew that.
Hi ya Johnny!

I was one of the guys with the 1200CC bike in your group, we can only do 120-140 MAX per tank.

Kinda sucks hahaha =P

Anyways, on the 28th I am actually going with Porsche Club to Duffey lake area, we were planning to meet at 5AM at Ferrari @ Vancouver and go to squamish and continue on after.

I am thinking if I would be driving or riding yet, let me know how this ride goes or perhaps I will even join you guys!

Cheers

Jeff