Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Batteries
Bought a great used bike about three weeks ago, rode it for three days over the first week and now it's been sitting for a stretch. Went to start last night, battery dead....Charged it overnight, fired up this morning, rode to work, started fine after work, went for a nice long route home and when I pulled into the carport and turned it off....kaput....nothing.... I checked the records and the battery is about 5 years old.... am I looking for a new battery or is there something else going on... Any recommendations on types of batteries that are better than others...?
I'm asking Bernie to reply to the thread, but if this happened to me, I would check the charging power of the alternator when the bike is running (with a volt meter).

Usually it's an old battery that doesn't hold a charge anymore. Let's see what bernie says..
---------
Brose
Batteries can be 'old', especially if they weren't stored properly.
However, if it runs for a few days before going dead, I would check the charging system before buying that battery.
If you don't have a volt meter, it's a quick check for a mechanic to do.
You need to see 13-14 volts at 3-4000 RPM. That's general, all bikes are a bit different.

If it were a battery, cheap isn't better! Canadian Tire is not your friend for motorcycle batteries.
BC Children's Hospital Foundation Balding for Dollars

Email Bernie: PRSMechanic(at)hotmail(dot)com
Sorry, reviving old thread.
Just for rough guide, will installing accessories USB port with Voltage gauge will help with detecting such issue above before it happens? It might not be that accurate, but for eyeballing it should be OK right?.
I do see it fluctuates between 12-14v from starting up until shutdown, so it tells me that the battery is still doing OK.
(09-18-2018, 09:55 AM)noncil Wrote: Sorry, reviving old thread.
Just for rough guide, will installing accessories USB port with Voltage gauge will help with detecting such issue above before it happens? It might not be that accurate, but for eyeballing it should be OK right?.
I do see it fluctuates between 12-14v from starting up until shutdown, so it tells me that the battery is still doing OK.
Should be fine, however I'd unplug it when not required. Less things plugged in, better!
---------
Brose