Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
First time buying used Motorcycle
Check for rebuilt statuses, pricing against the bluebook, pricing compared to other ads.
Rebuilt statuses isn't necessarily a negative thing, but inquire into what was declared.
Check VIN# (added by Cody)

1st steps is to get a bike inspection done. That's the easiest! But if you don't go that route, some basics are to check for:
  • Signs of bike being dropped (no decals, repainted fairings, scratches on engine parts)
  • Leakage of all fluids on parts and hoses
  • Oil always flows downwards, check each portion of the engine case for leaks in the seals, kick stand, bottom of fairings, etc
  • Check for chain & sprocket wear. If the slack adjustment is near the end, you might need to replace it soon. Sprocket teeth should be a squar tipped pyramid.
  • Check brake pads for wear
  • Check brake rotors for uneven, or grooved lines
  • If you can ride the bike, go down the street (30-40km/h), pop the bike into neutral, carefully take your hands off the bars and see if the bike steers straight.
  • Check for leakage in the forks
  • Check the oil in the window if possible, is it clean? Also check other fluids (brake, coolant, clutch on some bikes)
  • See if the owner takes care of the bike. General cleanliness and care goes a long way
  • Has the bike been properly stored? Regular scheduled maintenance? Logs?
  • Check tire wear
  • Has the bike been on the track?

That's all I can think of right now, if I think of more, I'll add to the list.
---------
Brose

Messages In This Thread